Saturday, January 24, 2015

Frankl-y Speaking

In Man's Search for Meaning, Viktor Frankl takes a different approach towards the meaning of life that I really appreciate. He emphasizes the fact that meaning, found through our interactions with the world, differs from man to man, day to day, and hour to hour. Meaning is not something that you have to escape society or practice to find. It can be found in our daily lives as we cook dinner or walk our dogs. I think this is important, it shows that meaning is attainable for everyone and it does not have to be life changing or permanent; it can be anything that makes us happy. Meaning is unique and does not have to be defined by society or our lifestyle. I think this is crucial as today we are unfortunately pressured more and more to conform to society. Meaning is something that will always be specific to each individual and no one can define it for you. 
This makes me think about my life today. I take hard classes, join activities that I may not truly have a passion for, and push myself to the mental break so that I can have a chance at getting into one of the best colleges. Not only because I love to challenge myself, but also because this is what I have been told will make me happy. By going to the best school, I can go to the best medical school, and then get the best job. It is something that is told to me from all sources: parents, social media, professionals, and even friends. College is something we obsess over for almost half of our high school career. Seldom do I stop to think about it. Why should going to the best college I possibly can define my happiness? Shouldn't obtaining the job I want by any path make me happy? This is something that I have really been asking myself as college comes closer.     
I also like the fact that Frankl believes that some amount of conflict and unhappiness is healthy and normal. These two things help us grow, redefine who we are, and find a new meaning to explore. They tell us that it is time to change; out with the old, in with the new. It is a feeling that we should welcome rather than push away. The great thing about life is that it will never be perfect, there will always be new challenges that add to who we are and who we will become. 



1 comment:

  1. I think you do an excellent job of applying Frankl's ideas to your own life. After we read, I find that brilliant concepts are so soon forgotten, but when you make them applicable, maybe that won't be the case as much. I definitely do not think that going to the best college will necessarily make you happier. I think the way that you embrace challenge is also very wise. I agree that conflict can be used to grow and often brings about meaning that we never understood or saw before.

    ReplyDelete